Wednesday, 17 June 2015

So, it begins

This bog has been set up to help document the thought and production processes that will go into my dissertation! My dissertation being three or four, fifteen minute, episodic radio dramas following the adventures of an up and coming detective. I'd like the dramas to be in a film noir style, and follow as many conventions of this genre as possible, on radio. At the minute I don't have much in the way of story, I'll be starting my research by searching for crime radio dramas on the BBC website, I've also asked a friend of mine (who loves obscure films) to send me a list of film noir films that may be useful. So far the list includes: The Maltese Falcon, Bladerunner, Chinatown, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, High Sierra, The Big Sleep, Brick and, Sunset Boulevard. So, apart from making mind maps and coming up with characters, over the next week, I'll be watching these films, listening to dramas and taking a lot of notes!

I must say I was feeling a little worn down by my MA course up until this point. I suppose balancing work, home life, managing production of a radio station and hosting a radio show, on top of the uni work has taken it's toll. However, today, I handed in my last piece of uni work before I tackle my dissertation, and I think the excitement of this project has perked me up somewhat. Although, I'll now be picking up another shift at work, as I have a bit more time and work have asked me to. Which may not sound so bad but, I work thirteen hour shifts at a time, which doesn't help the tiredness front. However, I'm sure that with the support of my girlfriend and with me working on something I find quite interesting and exciting, I'll manage everything a bit better than I have been doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment